Effective ODL course development process starts with asking and answering the following key questions:
- What is the subject matter and content of the course?
- What are the major learning goals and objectives for this course?
- How do i clearly articulate the identified learning outcomes. Make them simple, precise and measurable?
- Which learning strategy to deploy will thereafter follow. Identify which of the sub-sessions should be examined under the study session.
- How much time will students need to complete the course (study and assessment)?
- What other resources will be provided with this material?
- How will the course be assessed?
Answers to these pertinent questions largely form the Study Guide and serves as the map for the designer.
The governing body of university education in Nigeria for the purpose of dynamism in distance learning requires has come up with modalities/guidelines for the construction of instructional materials for Nigeria distance learners and these include the following elements.
- Study Guide
- Study Session number and title
- Section and Sub-section headings
- Introduction (un-numbered)
- Learning Outcomes
- Bold terms
- In-text questions and answers (ITQs and ITAs)
- Figures, their Captions and their Numbering
- Tables, their Captions and their Numbering
- Boxes, their Captions, Numbering and Contents
- Case Studies, their Captions and their Numbering
- References to other parts of the text
These highlighted elements are required to be put in mind by instructional designer as well as Course Developer of distance learning study materials. They are considered pivotal to disseminating knowledge better and that inn a seamless manner.
Before commencing the development of contents for Nigerian Distance Learners, take moments to study the Overview of ODL Course Designing Elements below: