Let’s talk about OCD today
Hi guys?? , what is OCD ? OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER ?
It is a mental disorder that causes repeated unwanted thoughts or feelings / or the urge to do something over and over again , simply put obsessive thoughts = compulsive (repeated ) behavior
that interferes with ones daily activities. OCD is not just being a neat freak , when and individual is diagnosed with OCD
1. The thoughts and actions take up at least 3 hours of their day
2. The thoughts and actions are beyond their control
3. They aren’t enjoyable
4. Interfere with personal and work life .
OCD types and symptoms
1. Checking: such as checking locks , alarms or thinking that one has a medical condition
2. Contamination: this is where we mix it up , a dear to fix / clean things or mental contamination thinking that you are dirty
3. Symmetry and ordering : the NEED to have things stored in a particular manner ( let’s not it’s not synonymous to being neat , OCD takes up a persons thoughts and these act can’t be controlled)
4. Ruminations and intrusive thoughts: obsession with a line of thought which could be violent or disturbing
So now that we know the difference let’s be careful with labeling people with the term OCD
Thank you for coming to my Tedtalk.